Thursday, October 7, 2010

Miller

So i'm supposed to be study for 2 exams that i have today but instead i'm trying to read miller, good luck with that. Basically all I've gotten out of miller is that she is more concerned with the action on which the rhetoric is used, the actions are inherent in the rhetorical situation and that these situations happen again and again over time thus similar actions occur.

Question is, what does miller have to do with us writing our commissioned documents? Seems to me that if most of us have to read the assignment 2 or 3 times and still have several questions about its meaning then we probably wont be very successful at implementing the ideas into our work.

Don't get me wrong, i have not problem sitting in class delving deeper and deeper into the philosophical ideas behind all of our readings but i need it to tie into the class deliverables (graded assignments). I don't mean in the form of a quiz or test either; like when we talked about rhetoric and audience before writing our instructions, that was applicable to a certain extent, so far "Genre as Social Action" is providing less than a clear correlation. Maybe its just me, idk.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah I agree with you. I find it hard to read through this, and while it does allow for some good discussion in class, I find it hard to see how it ties in with our commissioned documents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is my opinion on its usefulness:

    Rhetoric is our greatest weapon in the assignment. For our group, we're working on a PR campaign for a club; our best way to advertise this club will be our rhetoric.

    And it helps to know what we're using before we use it. Like in Galaxy Quest when they activate the Omega-13. Spoof movie of Star Trek.

    ReplyDelete