Thursday, September 23, 2010

Working in Groups

Throughout my academic career I've had the opportunity/misfortune to work in a number of group settings. On the whole i prefer group work but I've had a few projects that i would've been much better off doing it all on my own. To me, the worst part of the group environment is not the Controller or even the Monumentally Busy person that can never meet; it's the Slacker. If you want to control the project thats fine with me, i know i can manage a group and probably even get the project done before the eleventh hour. If you can never meet with the group i'll have your email and phone number and you will be given work to contribute; if you don't do it then i'll have someone else (or myself) do it last minute and your name will not be on the completed project. 

I'm currently taking 22 hours of class and i am a member of a Heavy Civil/Highway Construction project team so i have no problem letting someone else take the lead role in most group settings this semester since i'm too busy anyway, but i refuse to let my grade suffer as a result of someone elses ineptitude. That said, if the controler begins to fail at their controlling position and misallocate work or take on too much for themselves, i will be the first person to tell you about it. 

Through numerous experiences in the "real world" of the construction industry i have found that a higher sense of pride and commitment exists and that while you may still have a Slacker in the group, they're no where near as useless as they are in the academic arena. If they Slack too much for too long they'll be fired; i'm ok letting them sign their own headstone.

4 comments:

  1. I love when people compare group work in school to group work in the working world as if they're similar things. I love that you don't. The group dynamics are much different in the working world. You're right in saying that there may still be a slacker, but even so, they are not completely MIA like most college slackers in groups.

    It's amazing how much a paycheck motivates you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that group work in academia is far from group work in the real world. You can pull together a quick paper or project in a night and turn it in for a group grade, but if you tried to do the same thing in the real world, you would probibially get fired, or a new backside burned into you by your boss for shotty workmanship. This is especially true for engineers and contractors. Their entire professional reputation sits on their work performance and accuracy in their design, and without that they are in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can tell you from my internship this weekend, work groups are NOT like school groups. I love work groups so much better because there are no slackers, everyone has to contribute, and for the most part we all get along. I'm excited to work in a group in my career, as it is one in which a group is almost essential.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be the fourth to agree that a work setting is much more professional and easier to collaborate in. I'll also agree that sometimes its smarter to just adapt to the group and accept the controller if the work production is valid and on schedule. I like to be the controller, but it can be too much to take on as opposed to just doing what I'm told.

    ReplyDelete